Friday, June 10, 2011

Dave Campbell's Magazine & Meeting Famous People

This blog is just to get back into the routine of writing really...Part of the reason I have not been writing here is because I was busy writing a magazine...writing about six-man football for Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine...my first true writing job (all thanks be to Granger Huntress the six-man guru for recommending me).  The magazine is due out June 15th I believe...I can't wait to see how many things I screwed up...hopefully its a gig I can keep!

Famous Person Encounter #1:  Monday I took in a Texas Ranger's game.  Sat first row in the Commissioners box on the 3rd base side with my friend David, who was high school friends with Detroit Tigers' Center Fielder Austin Jackson.  We talked to AJ briefly before the game, and could have interfered with a foul ball pop up that Ranger's 3rd baseman Adrian Beltre caught...but we learned the Bartmen lesson and let him catch it...goes without saying they were great seats!  Too Bad the Rangers got killed. (Also had a brief encounter with Tiger's 3rd basemen Don Kelly who came over to our seats to sign a guys baseball...which Kelly bitched about doing)

Famous Person Encounter #2:  For Game 4 of the NBA Finals a group of 4 of us went out to Hooter's to watch the game and eat some wings...I watched the Ranger's game on the only TV in the place that was not showing the Mav's game...and numerous people bitched about that TV not showing the Mav's game...my thought on that "hey ass-hole, turn your head to the right slightly instead of to the left".  Well at half time we all decided to go to a little bar/lounge in downtown Denton to watch the rest of the game.  The Hickory Street Lounge I believe it is called.  Probably less than 10 people in the place...it was a nice little hole in the wall establishment...and owned by a man from Strawn, Tx which is a big PLUS in my book!  Well one of the other people bellied up to the bar...heavy emphasis on the BELLY part of that...Chris Burny from the band Bowling for Soup.  We visited a little with him after the game...talked about Freddie Mercury of all things.

1 comment:

  1. did you hear about the new movie about freddie mercury played by sacha baron cohen. gonna be awesome!

    ReplyDelete