Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Week That Was...Running the Gamut

Starting Point:  Friday the 15th

In from work early...off to San Angelo to watch my friend's band play downtown...stay at his house...wake up early drive to San Antonio to visit a friend who was admitted to Brooke Army Medical Center...drive back home the next day.  Monday book passage on a bus to San Antonio so I can bring my friends car home and store it for her while she is on leave...my first ever bus trip here in the US.  Backed books to read...Plato's Symposium...Monday-Friday I spend with my friend trying to provide some comfort and aid when needed..my knowledge of the area around Brooke's Army Medical Center (namely fast food places, convenient stores and hotels) reaches the level of expert, I get a taste of true government bureaucratic, see wounded military members at every turn, little sleep, up for over 40 hours at one point...I fittingly read The Symposium and ponder its meaning.  Friday afternoon my friend is discharged and off on leave to get healthy...I worry and reflect on my week as I drive her car home.  Have to pull over to get some sleep in Paint Rock, TX.  Arrive home, pick up my fiddle and play it for the first time in a week...it smells good.  Rest and Sleep come easy.  Saturday I'm picked up by a friend and taken to San Angelo to get my pick up.  We bump into an ex-girlfriend at the mall with her husband...not as awkward as it seems like it should have been.  I check into the Inn at Sealy Flats downtown and wait for some friends of mine to arrive for a small party I organized a month prior.  Few show up but we have fun, good food, drinks, more drinks, and Blues music...I'm left wondering to myself Is the note "Facebook Me" with a name on a napkin the new equivalent of getting a girl's number?...10:30 we are all off to watch my friend's band play in Grape Creek, TX at a biker rally at the only bar in town...there till 12:30ish...off to a bar in San Angelo for a few drinks with a high school friend...we run into people we know...its a small world.  2am back to the Inn, we talk of the past, the future, growning anxiety and I'm advised on how to deal with a few of the curve balls life has thrown at me lately.  Bed at 5am.  Wake up at 11:30am...1 hour later...Home again.  "Color my life with the chaos of trouble" has gained meaning to me

No comments:

Post a Comment